- Look at the picture above. What do you expect this video session to be about?
Discuss before you watch
- What do you understand by “prenups”?
- Is there any advantage to signing a prenup? What about the disadvantages?
- Would you sign a prenup? Why? Why not?
Watch an answer
Link to online video: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/video?id=8130738
1. Who are Bethany and Scott Palmer?
2. What does Scott say about people’s attitude towards “prenups”?
3. How should you get the conversation started according to Bethany?
4. What are some of the reasons to have a prenup according to Bethany?
5. Why is timing so important when it comes to doing a prenup?
6. What questions should couples grapple with before you decide to sign the prenup?
7. Are prenups for everyone of for the rich?
8. What tips does Bethany give about prenups? What for?
9. How can you avoid “hard feelings” about prenups?
Focus on language
Collocations: join with arrows and say how these collocations are used in the video
1. Exchange your financial future
2. Address/ approach/ bring up to divorce
3. Protect engaged/ married/ divorced/ some things in place
4. Lead a relationship
5. Lay out an issue
6. Put something everything on the table
7. Get a prenup
8. Grapple on the back burner
9. Strengthen/ weaken vows
10. Sign with a problem
1. Newly business/ home
2. A sensitive way to do sth
3. A family issue
4. A surefire weds
5. A key topic
Discuss after you watch
1. Is there any issue mentioned you hadn’t thought of before watching?
2. How would you react/ would you have reacted if your fiancé/ fiancée asked you/ had asked you to sign a prenup?
3. How would you suggest approaching the issue with your fiancé/ fiancée?
4. Do you agree that people’s attitude toward prenups has changed lately?
5. Do you think prenups will become more and more common with the passing of time or the other way about?