Before you watch
Look at the photos above and discuss the questions.
- Do you play any musical instrument? How long have you played it for?
- How did you start playing it?
- What are the advantages of teaching children to play musical instruments? Are there any disadvantages?
- What is the best age to learn an instrument?
- Have you ever heard about the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra? If so, what do you know about it?
Reading & speaking
Cut these slips of papers on the different benefits of learning music and give out one to each student. They should read it and try to memorize the main idea. Play a song and let them move around the class sharing what they've read with their classmates. Then, ask them to go back to their seats and take turn to say what benefits they remember.
Look at the mindmap below. What information do you expect to learn from the video?
WatchA. Watch and make connections with the images and information in the mindmap. Then, share your findings with the class.
Focus on Language
Be made up AS one of the most exciting conductors in the world
Be credited AT everything
Live IN/ Fight a scheme
Keep kids IN CHARGE
Have a big effect poverty
Be acclaimed WITH transforming the lives of a generation
Set OFF the street/ AWAY from drugs & gangs
Turn the community INTO artists
Get better OF kids from shantytown
BE ON somebody
An ambitious setting
An unlikely music